Well, the magical moment has come and gone--the Delta gift basket finally arrived. Now I don't exactly know what I'd been hoping to find in that basket, but whatever it was, I didn't find it. I guess I was hoping for some cool Delta swag, maybe a t-shirt or some fuzzy airplane socks or some vouchers. Instead, they sent me 2 bags of toasted almonds, one box of "chocolate swirl sticks," 2 bags of cheese crackers, 1 box of honey roasted almonds, 1 bag of cherry candies, 1 pecan divinity, and a little thank you note. And I guess I should be grateful to have gotten anything from Delta, but in all honesty, I don't feel grateful. I feel like a pushover. In fact, somewhere in Atlanta right now, I'm pretty sure there's a Delta customer service rep probably saying, "What a pushover."
That brings me to my next story, the "I'm a Pushover Part Deux" story from this afternoon. I raced home after work today because the guy from One Hour Heating and Air was supposed to be at my house to give my A/C and heating unit a tune-up at 4 PM. By 4:30, there'd been no phone call or anything to explain what had happened, and I was annoyed. By 5, I was pissed. I still hadn't heard from them, so I called the company and was greeted by a semi-peppy receptionist with the slogan, "If we're not on time, you don't pay a dime." As it turns out, that slogan is a BIG FAT LIE since they were definitely not on time and I'm pretty sure I did pay a dime--890 of them, in fact.
And that is why I'm both a loser and a great disappointment to my mom who I can guarantee you would NOT have paid any of those 890 dimes. It's not like I didn't protest, though. It's not like I didn't point out their lack of professionalism for not having called me to explain why the technician was going to be 1.5 hours late. It's not like I didn't suggest that they should waive the fee for me, per their slogan. But all I got was an apology. I probably should have asked to speak to some bigwig over at One Hour, but the last time I talked to a bigwig, I ended up with an apology and some almonds, so in my mind, it's just not worth it.
So yeah, I think what it all boils down to is that I just don't know how to argue effectively. What I do know, though, is that my mom, the Queen of Arguing with People and Consequently Getting Free Stuff, is going to read this blog entry and call me to chastise me about how I shouldn't have paid anything and how she wouldn't have paid anything and how my sister wouldn't have paid anything and how I shouldn't have sold my entertainment center for $25 and how my cleaning lady should be cleaning my ceiling fans and refrigerator for the amount of money I'm paying her, and so on and so on.... And all I can say to that is no me llames, Mami. Ya se.
Haha--did I call it, or what? Here's the message my mom just sent me. It's in Spanish, so buena suerte.
ReplyDeleteTraté de mandarte un mensaje en el blog, pero me dice cómo debo mandarlo y no sé qué escoger? En todo caso, llama mañana, habla con el "big guy" y que te devuelvan tu dinero.
Eres muy cómica! me he reído mucho leyendo lo que dices. Seas como seas, igual te quiero.
It would be awesome if Delta or the One Hour people read your blog and sent you a gift basket full of Publix Perpente's Ciabatah rolls.
ReplyDeleteThat would be amazing!
ReplyDeleteCan you translate what your mom wrote?
ReplyDeleteSure. The first part is just about how she couldn't figure out how to post a comment on the blog. Then she says, "In any case, call them tomorrow and talk to the 'big guy' and have them refund your money." Then she says she liked the blog and ends with, "Regardless of how you are, I love you all the same." Keep in mind that the subtext of that is that "how I am" is not how she'd like me to be :)
ReplyDelete