Happy Birthday to me!
So I'm one of these people who really makes a big deal out of birthdays, especially my own. I like to celebrate with friends and family, I love getting cards and birthday phone calls, and with the advent of facebook, I also spend all day checking in to see who all has left me birthday messages, something that I realize seems petty and obsessive, but I am petty and obsessive, so whatever.
The only problem is that so far, this birthday has been kind of a bust. First of all, I am now 35, and that seems really old to me, even though I don't feel old, and I don't even think I look that old. But still, I'm kind of freaked out by the fact that I will no longer be able to press the down arrow when I set my age on the machines at my gym, and I'm probably either in the last year or in the first year of an age bracket on surveys. I also had to get a new drivers' license. There's an episode of Sex and the City in which Miranda discusses her "scary age." I'm not there yet, but I'm getting close.
The second downer today is that while everyone in town is rejoicing that it's also a snow day, I've spent the day by myself, trapped in my house with only a ridiculously hard 1500-piece jigsaw puzzle and episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent to keep me entertained. Oh, and I should also add to my newest list of grievances that the phone call alerting me to the fact that I wouldn't be going to work today woke me up at 4:31 AM, and then I couldn't get back to sleep. The funny part is that just yesterday I said to someone, "If we get a phone call telling us it's a snow day, I hope it comes before I'm already dressed and ready to go!" All I can say is, well played, Automated Voice Messaging System.
The third thing bringing me down is that I had a party last night and over-estimated how much food I would need to make, so now I'm going to be eating leftover lasagna... for the REST OF MY LIFE.
Which brings me to the fourth and weirdest gripe--my right eyeball is bothering me because of these strange little bumps on the white part of my eye. Of course I've done some internet research to see what could be going on, and I've either got a mild irritation that will go away on its own or I'm dying. If it's the former, then I'm just annoyed. If it's the latter, then that kind of sucks, but at least I won't have to eat all that lasagna. Seriously, though, if anyone out there is a legit eye doctor, instead of the quack I go to at Lens Crafters, please advise.
Anyhoo, I'm going to go back to my puzzle and crime shows now. I have really and truly enjoyed hearing from those of you who've checked in today in one form or another. Thank you for making my birthday a bit more palatable.
I would have come over with my two jigsaw puzzle experts! We were working on one off and on all day ourselves. I know your pain, Leah, about the age thing. However, I would take joy in the enormous way your life has touched others. You are making a difference, and you have a lot of friends...those are wonderful accomplishments for 35 years of life! By the way...I too was awakened at 4:00 in the a.m and couldn't go back to sleep...not happy either.
ReplyDeleteBorn 35 years (and 1 day ago) in Alachua General... and I followed you about 2 months later in the same hospital! Crazy to think, since having met in the 6th grade, that we've been wishing each other Happy Birthday's for the past, what? 23 years? Here's to another 23! Hmm, by then we'll be turning 58.., now, doesn't that put age in in perspective?
ReplyDelete